Thursday 29 March 2012

Dear Final Fantasy, What Happened To You, Man?



I played Final Fantasy XIII. I waited a long time. I didn’t like what I had heard – the linearity, lack of exploration, and unfortunate embracement of seemingly every shitty JRPG stereotype turned me way off – and so I can’t say that it was, despite the fact that the FF series contains some of my all time favourite games, a first day pre-order.
What happened to this once glorious series? FFX, despite doing a spectacular job on a technical and gameplay level, failed to excite me in the same way previous entries had; FFXI is a not terrible, but negligible entry in the MMORPG canon; FFXII, despite some restoration, bounced back in the story and drama department a big plus, but the gameplay felt like a chore; and FFXIV, which I admittedly have not played, seems to have been a failure from the word go. And in the middle of all that is FFXIII.
FFXIII is a disappointment coming from a much loved geek of Final Fantasy, I do not think I have been this disappointed with a game before. They make us wait years for a new title and this is what I get. I just hope the part 2 is a better game

No comments:

Post a Comment